Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Contest Submission 2: Sketchy Potential Roommates

Submitted by Kate from NY, NY

I was in the middle of packing up my tiny campus housing apartment when my friend called to let me know that 

1. Our Brooklyn apartment we were moving into in two days fell through, and
2. She was OVER New York City and was moving back to Tennessee.

I pulled up Craigslist and spent a whole day refreshing the page, calling, running to the apartment and nearly tripping others along the way in case they were headed to the same apartment as me (as least 3 apartments got swooped out from under me.)

First, I met a seemingly harmless old woman with a room for rent who started every sentence with "I'm not a racist, BUT...". 

Then, there was the dude who was willing to wave my rent if I would walk around naked. "It's not sexual, I promise." He said. Sure dude.

The second to last apartment of the day seemed to be the keeper. It was a young, married couple both working on their graduate degrees. The apartment was clean. The room for rent was separate and optimal for privacy. I pulled out my checkbook and immediately started filling out the first month's rent/security deposit.

"There's one thing", the wife said to me. "You may only use the common areas during the hours of 9am-5pm...that includes the kitchen and bathroom."

"What if nature calls in the middle of the night?" I asked. Seemed like a valid question.

"The student union is down the street". She said.

I put my checkbook in my bag and left to go refresh the Craiglist page once more.

Luckily, I did find a great place that day from Craigslist, with great roommates who are not only cool with me using the bathroom, they'll let my nature call even while they're in the shower!






No comments:

Post a Comment