Friday, May 8, 2009

An Opening Night note from Director Kimmy Gatewood

Big Big Man. Teeny Tiny Maracas

The cast working on "The Funhouse"

Michelle has the most beautiful voice, and the most foul song

Our Stage Manager Michelle "Frankie" Thomas. She's the quiet bird in the corner.




Hey everybody.  I'm Kimmy, the Director of Kidnapped by Craigslist.  I'm so happy that I had the opportunity to direct the show again.  It's so rare that a director gets the opportunity to come back to a show and fix or add anything that they wished they had the time to do last time.  

This time around, I wanted to embrace the carnivalesque theme more fully.  Each 'tent' has a distinct mood and look - and the actors movements and music reflect that.  I also wanted  master the story of this piece.  Because this show is a docu-play, it doesn't follow a typical story structure plot, however, it does paint a picture of society and how this particular forum, Craigslist, has allowed them to express themselves in funny, tragic, and heartbreaking ways. 

 These posts are well written, witty, and incredibly honest.  I hope you walk away from the show looking at your neighbors, friend, lovers, and co-workers differently. Katie has put together a dynamic script and a dynamo cast.  

Speaking of the little buggers.  Here are some pics I took during rehearsals with my crappy phone camera.  Looking forward to seeing you at the show!


-Kimmy Gatewood, Director

No comments:

Post a Comment