Tuesday, May 26, 2009

An update from cast member Dax Valdes


Wow. So here we are, more than halfway through our run of KBC!

This has been a whirlwind experience this time through. I did the workshop three years ago, and now I'm back onstage for this run. It's been really great, although I believe I'm the only member of the team who doesn't have improv experience. That was slightly terrifying, because I had it in my head that I would need to be catching up with that skill set. 

At first, I wasn't sure I wanted to do the run because I've been on the other side of the table, doing a lot of choreographing as of late. I thought about it and couldn't pass up the chance to re-visit something I had worked on and to see how it evolved. Plus, I had been wanting to get back onstage for a bit. 

That said, saying "
yes, and..." was a lot easier this round. I remember seeing the original run, and remembering, "Oh, yeah! I said that," and "Damn, I wish I was doing this!" 

Doing the movement for this piece was basically expanding on what was already created, and tweaking it to fit our needs. The one moment where I had resisted not saying yes, before I even tried it, was the Transgendered and Disowned posting. I hadn't envisioned it as movement, but Kimmy said it would be a different moment altogether, and the first time I did it, everyone was pretty quiet. Then I saw Kimmy's face, and I knew it would work. So far, it's pretty quiet when that section comes up, but the second night we performed, there were a few giggles and laughs, but I think that comes from a place of being uncomfortable and not knowing what to do with it - which is perfectly alright. I look forward to that part, cause it's kinda like holding your breath through a tunnel and then when the exhale comes, you thought it would never get there.

It's been an awesome ride, thus far.

See you at the carnival!

-Dax Valdes, Ensemble Member

No comments:

Post a Comment