Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Contest Submission 7: I Won $5,000!

Submitted by Lucy in Staten Island, NY

I have been interested in cake decorating for a long time. Mostly it was just for fun but then I noticed my competitive side coming out anytime I would start decorating. I wanted to start entering amateur cake decorating contests but I knew I wasn't good enough yet. 

I went onto Craigslist and posted that I was looking for some cake decorating tips and strategies. One of the responses I received was a sweet old lady on Long Island who used to run a cake shop for over 30 years but gave it up after her husband died. She agreed to meet with me once a week (for free!!!!) to show me a few things and teach me what she knows.

After 3 months of meeting with her I decided to enter my first amateur cake decorating contest. I turned a plain old sheetcake into a huge garden full of roses, lilies and gardenias. My cake won first place, and the prize was $5,0000!

If it weren't for Craigslist, I never would have met the old lady who turned out to be my mentor and I wouldn't have won the $5,0000 that helped pay for more cake decorating supplies. Thanks Craigslist!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment